Ready to Get Started?
Getting U.S. Passports for Kids has Never Been Easier!
UVC Step by Step DS-11 Child Passport Help Guide
• Easy to Follow Comprehensive Instructions •
• Detailed Application Requirements •
• Current Government Guidelines •
• Secure Online Ordering •
• Downloadable Forms •
Follow the Step by Step Instructions below for
Getting U.S. Passports for Children/Minors Under 16
Children are Eligible to Apply for a Child's U.S. Passport if:
- the applicant is a minor under the age of 16 (15 years old or younger)
Proof of Citizenship Requirements
Minor applicants must submit their proof status as a U.S. citizen with their child passport application.
The US Department of State Passport Agency requires one of the following documents as evidence that the child is a legal citizen of the United States:
- A Birth Certificate showing birth in the US: This must be original or certified copy long-form certificate showing your parents names and issued by the municipality in which you were born;
- A Previous US Passport: The passport can be either valid or expired. If your appearance has changed significantly since this passport was issued, you may need to submit a secondary proof of US citizenship;
- A US Naturalization Certificate – This must be original or certified copy.
Important Note: This document will be returned to you with your new passport.
Proof of Identification Requirements
Both parents of minor applicants must both submit valid forms of ID with their child's passport application.
The Passport Agency accepts the following as acceptable forms of Identification:
- Previously issued & undamaged U.S. passport;
- Valid State issued Driver's License or ID;
- Naturalization Certificate;
- Current Government ID;
- Current Military ID.
Applicants must submit two passport photographs with their child passport application.
The photo's should be:
- in color & not blurry;
- 2x2 in size;
- front view with body completely facing forward;
- on a plain white background;
- with no glasses or head wear;
- not older than 90 days;
- taken at a reputable facility such as Walgreen’s, CVS or Fed Ex.
Proof of Departure Requirements
Applicants must provide proof of travel with their child passport application.
This is normally a copy of your flight itinerary or flight booking confirmation email.
Applicants traveling on business and have no itinerary may instead provide a business letter on company letterhead.
Important Note: Your proof of travel must show departure within the next 15 business days or 21 business days if a visa is needed.
The Passport Agency fee for getting U.S. passports for minor children under the age of 16 is 140.00.
If you would like to get a passport card as well, the Passport Agency fee for both the book and the card is 155.00.
Add the Passport Agency fee to your total when placing your order.
(Passport Agency Fee + UVC Fee + Shipping)
The UVC fee & processing time options for getting a U.S. passports for minor children under the age of 16 are:
- Emergency Same Day Passport Service Fee: $249.00
(Call ahead to insure availability)
- 24-48 Hour Urgent Passport Service Fee: $199.00
(Call ahead to insure availability)
- 3-5 Day Express Passport Service Fee: $149.00
- 6-10 Day Priority Passport Service Fee: $99.00
Add the UVC fee to your total when placing your order.
(Passport Agency Fee + UVC Fee + Shipping)
Applicants who want to apply for a Passport Card in addition to a child passport should the box next "Passport Card" when completing the new passport application. There is an additional $15.00 US government fee for the Passport Card.
The Passport card is just an extra form of official government ID that fits conveniently in your wallet.
It is only valid for travel by land or sea to Canada, Mexico, Bahamas and the Caribbean.
Additional Requirements & Information
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR CHILDREN UNDER 16 YEARS
Both parents or child's legal guardian must:
Present one of the following as proof of the child's U.S. citizenship status;
This can be (one of the following:
1. Previously issued, undamaged US Passport.
2. Certified Birth Certificate issued by the city, county or state.
3. Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth.
4. Naturalization Certificate.
5. Certificate of Citizenship.
Present one of the following as proof they are the child's parents or legal guardian;
1. certified US Birth Certificate with BOTH parents' names.
2. certified Foreign Birth Certificate with BOTH parents' names.
3. Report of Birth Abroad with BOTH parents' names
4. Adoption Decree with adopting parents' names.
5. Court Order establishing custody.
6. Court Order establishing guardianship.
If one parent is not available, the appearing parent present the above documents as well as a
Passport Agency Parental Statement of Consent Form DS-3053.
The DS-3053 Parental Statement of Consent Form should be submitted along with the DS-11 Child Passport Application as evidence of parental permission for the following reasons.
You are a non-applying parent or guardian consenting to passport issuance for your child, or
You are an applying parent or guardian, and the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian cannot be obtained
- You are a non-applying parent or guardian consenting to passport issuance for your child;
- You are an applying parent or guardian, and the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian cannot be obtained;
If neither parent is available to sign, the third party in lieu parent must:
Appear with a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or custodial parent(s) authoring the third party to apply for the passport. When the statement or affidavit is from only one parent, the third party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent.
Child Passport Application Form DS-11
Complete & print two copies of the
Online DS-11 Child Passport Application Form.
All DS-11 child passport applications must:
- not be signed until instructed to do so during the passport acceptance process.
- be completed using the Online DS-11 Passport Application Form through the Passport Agency link above. Hand filled applications will not be accepted.
- have original dates and signatures and written be in black ink. Copies of signatures and dates or those in colored ink or pencil are not acceptable.
- be printed on two separate pages. Applications printed on the front and back of a single sheet are not acceptable.
- be submitted to the Passport Agency within 5 business days of the date your documents are executed and sealed.
Passport Agency Authorization Letter
Complete, then print & sign two copies of the
Passport Agency Child Passport Authorization Letter.
Please read carefully and fill out completely to avoid issues or delays.
The Authorization Letter allows UVC to:
- submit the child's passport application to the US Passport Agency;
- speak and interact with the US Passport Agency as an agent on the applicants behalf;
- pick up & ship the child's passport when completed.
Passport Acceptance Facility Instructions
Before proceeding with this step:
make copies of all required passport documents now to include in your shipment to UVC;
email or upload copies of all required passport documents to UVC for pre-ship review.
This is mandatory for document verification per US Department of State Passport Agency Regulations!
The applicant and both parents should proceed to a local passport acceptance facility with all required documents & completed forms to have them signed, executed, witnessed and legally sealed in an envelope by an acceptance agent. This is normally done at a US Post Office, County Court House, or Public Library.
To locate Passport Acceptance Facilities in your area, enter your zip code in the Passport Acceptance Facility Locator.
The acceptance agent will:
- Verify applicants ID; proof of citizenship; photos quality;
- Collect checks or money orders for the passport agency fee & a separate 35.00 execution fee;
- Administer the swearing of the passport oath;
- Witness the signing of the DS-11 child passport application;
- Seal all documents into a legally sealed envelope.
To avoid delays:
- clearly write your full name and date of birth on the check or money order with NO CORRECTIONS;
- ensure the acceptance agent DOES NOT include the cost of USPS Express mail return postage in your payment of passport fees;
- FedEx your package immediately as the Executed & Sealed documents must be submitted to the US Passport Agency within 5 business days or the seal will expire and this step will have to be repeated.
Ship Your Child Passport Documents
Please send all required documents, completed forms and a printed copy of your order confirmation to:
US Visa Connection
Address: 510 Earls Court Katy, TX 77450
Toll Free: 877-VISADOC (847-2362)
|FedEx Return Shipping|
|Continental USA Only||Price|
|Overnight - Next Business Day||$38.00|
|2 Day - 2nd Business Day||$28.00|
|Alaska, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, USVI||Price|
|Next Day / 2 Day (No Saturday Delivery)||$48.00|
|Call UVC for Prices (Varies by Location)||Varies|
Once your order has been completed, your child's passport and supporting documents will be returned to you with the shipping option you choose. It is highly recommended all documents be shipped using FedEx.
If you are sending a pre-paid return label or will be using a FedEx or UPS account, you can supply that information when placing your order.
Complete, print & sign the UVC Child Passport Order Form.
Important Note: If you deadline is tight please contact UVC at 877-VISADOC(847-2362) to ensure availability.
U.S. State Department
& Passport Agency
2018 Holidays and Closures:
- January 1: New Years
- January 15: Martin Luther King
- February 19: President’s Day
- May 28: Memorial Day
- July 4: Independence Day
- September 3: Labor day
- October 8: Columbus Day
- November 12: Veteran’s Day
- November 22: Thanksgiving
- December 25: Christmas